Monday, August 27, 2012

Soccer Tale: How learning changes everything.



Scrawny and Knock-Kneed, 
Bobby Truly Loved Soccer.

Then, he learned to play the game.


The idea of liking something because it's unfamiliar must be the oddest thing you've ever heard. But it's true.  

See, what fascinated me about soccer was not the same thing that that fascinated my teammates.  They liked to run and kick and grin with big orange peel smile. For them it was really about soccer.

I just liked that I had no idea what I was doing.  No sense of the rules. No clue what a fullback was meant to do (except stand around for what felt like eternity.)

I gravitated towards anything unknown. That was my own version of childhood sillyness.  
"As they play, pick roles, take shots, cheer, scream...the rest wish for nothing more than the end-game buzzer. I was a bit of both: part country, part rock and roll."
Today, the same complexity keeps me in bliss. In one way, it drives me. In other ways it's the brake to an efficient day.

Thank goodness for controlled chaos.  (What would I do without digital, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...